Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sun Beams


To continue the theme of reunions with old friends, another set that had moved to Logan came back to TN for a visit. We had a dinner at our house for some of their closest friends here. It was great to have them back. We had several lively discussions on the topic de jure, which is what I miss most since so many of our friends have moved away.

For reasons that I'm not sure of, we have never been able to spend the energy to rebuilt the "circle of ten" (to use MTN's phrase) that was the bedrock of our friendships for so many years here in TN. What had been for a period of five years or so that it takes to finish graduate school, etc... this strong and intimate group, rapidly got smaller as people finished and moved away. Meanwhile, we just haven't really made very many new ones to take their place. Maybe living in student wards for some many years have caught up with us and we just don't have the mental energy that it takes to form deep attachments anymore, I don't know. But I miss those times and having the Sun Beams back (a bit of play on their sunny disposition) if only for an evening.