Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Vancouver-Orcas

My early Father's Day present was a whale-watching trip while I was in Vancouver.  It took about 2 hours of boating to reach the area of the San Juan Islands where the resident (J pod) orcas were hanging out.  I think there were some transient (T pod) orcas as well. I went with Vancouver Whale Watch.  I was a bit disappointed in our naturalist (which travel with every whale watching boat).  For the four hours that we had with nothing much to do but sit in the boat, she didn't take much opportunity to talk about the whales or the environment.  When I was young, I wanted to be a marine biologist, and I think I would love her job and if in her place would have worked hard to use the time better to teach and educate. (Especially given how much the trip cost.)



 
The view along the San Juan Islands was fantastic.  There were some cabins on the cliffs of the island, I would love to own someday.  Watch the Orcas come by, etc...


The first 5 seconds of this video shows two surfacing of an Orca about 20 yards off from the boat.

 

About 40 seconds into this video, a male Orca surfaces about 10 yards off of the boat.  You can then see the "foot prints" of the Orca on the surface as it swims underwater.
About 20 seconds into the video you can see the Orcas in a distance.  But you can hear them throughout on the underwater acoustic microphone.



Although the Orcas are far away, you can see the whole family surface many times.

No comments: